Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Making Connections

I've been trying to think of interesting things in my life worth reporting on.
I supposed the biggest is getting engaged, but that just seems like it was a natural step in my life, not a big change. Once I start planning I suppose it will get hectic.
Some of my biggest adventures in my life of late involve the process of making connections. I've always understood that knowing people in the professional world is a good move. I also want to advance my knowledge and round out my character. I started two things this June that fall into both categories. The first was joining my credit unions board of directors. This was an excellent professional move, getting me involved in planning and strategy. It is also a great way to learn more about finances for my personal life. People look at me weird when I say I'm on the board of a credit union, but its a big deal to me.
Secondly, I was hired to work at an archaeology dig not far from home. This was the work of God in its most visible state to me, because I had everyone I knew praying I'd be hired, and I was the only one from my field school. This has furthered my knowledge, my interests, and my experience in my chosen field of anthropology. Not only have I made new friends, I've become friends with teachers and leading researchers. Thats important. Most of all, I've been having fun. Sometimes that's the best you can ask for when you are trying to get the basis for your career going. I'll probably never be a banker, but maybe I'll study starch grains.

2 comments:

Lorraine M said...

Yay, you blogged! I enjoyed it better than a Katherine move that goes like this:

"I blogged!" - the end

Unknown said...

^^^ rude, mo!

great blog, i think it's wicked awesome that you're on the credit union, hellllloooo adulthood!